Saturday, April 28, 2012

Let there be bibs!

There is a lot to be said about a good bib. Yep, Im going there.
 I've seen some pretty cool ones at those mummy made markets sprouting up all over the place. Like the bandana bib, how cool is that? Suddenly they are a fashion statement, instead of being the place that collects dribbly bits of mushy food missed by the mouth. Being savvy about all things homemade I decided to give the good ol' bib a crack on the sewing machine.
So i bought this book.


I opened it up to the beginning and straight away, began ear marking all the things to make for our girls. There are a lot of rubbish sewing books out there that spruik great things but once you get past the gloss of the fancy photographs that lie inside, all that is left is a pack of poorly written patterns. This book is not one of those and I loved it. Already having made a few nice, pretty things from it, it gets a big fat thumbs up from me.
So here is what I came up with.


A little raw edge applique ready to catch any pesky bits of 'narna' that might come flying its way. Complete with authentic baby smudge of camera lense. Just keeping it real.


We're messy people, and messy people need bibs. A few of these wouldnt go astray on me.


And my favourite.
I didnt know, all those years ago when I was childless and travelling that future me would have a favourite bib. But i do, so there you go. The binding was a little tricky to get around the edges but really, its a bib. It does the job.

And I guess what Im alluding to in my post about bibs, is really just trying to find something to bang on about. Am i writing for a reader? Or am i writing for myself? Why am I writing?
This blogging caper has been on my wishlist for quite awhile. Years even. And even now, as Im about to publish post number three. About bloomin' bibs. I have no idea what I am doing. 
I had been thinking all day to myself about what I could write and all I could come up with was some schmicko crafting I did a few months back. I guess the hard yards are ahead of me and Im ready for that, but I look forward to the day when words come freely and I can relax a little about my content. I just want to be myself, record a little of our family happenings and record this crazy time where I will forever be known as washer woman, kitchen lady and a crafty schmafty minx. But a pretty bib on a sweet baby does make me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment